Wednesday, June 8, 2011

heroscape tiles

I've started planning out some maps using heroscape hex tiles. I don't have enough to cover the ground with them yet (but I've ordered some more box sets) but can make roads, rivers and hills with them now. The ultimate idea being to have a set of illustrated instructions for quickly assembling any of the classic battletech map sheets, using heroscape tiles.

I'm using a height level ratio of 1 height level = 2 heroscape tiles stacked. This means that a typical mech at waist high is 2 heroscape tiles on top of each other, and 4 heroscape tiles stacked is about head height. However, tall mechs (like an Atlas) are actually level 3 high - six tiles stacked.

I'm using the standard rules for things like movement, ranges, and so forth, but I'm using the miniatures rules for line of sight - so if an atlas' torso is jutting up above level 2 hills, and a mech elsewhere on the board can visually see him across the table, then they can fire at him, but he'll get a cover bonus because part of him is behind the hill.

Anyway, I'm mostly doing battleforce and quick strike rule sets, so I've started off with the Battleforce 2 map sheet. I've got all the pieces down, except there's no hex grid on the bottom ground layer - I've just stuck a citadel grass battlemat down for now until I get enough hexes.

No comments:

Post a Comment